- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: The apples and spinach featured in this recipe provide lots of cancer-fighting antioxidant power.
- Recipe Created By: U.S. Apple Association
- 2 medium-sized tart apples
- 1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped or 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 4 tablespoons apple juice, divided
- 4 boneless pork loin chops, 1-inch thick
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Peel and chop 1 apple; leaving peel on second apple, thinly slice.
- To prepare stuffing: In small bowl, mix chopped apple, spinach, cranberries and 1 tablespoon of the apple juice; toss to combine.
- With very sharp knife, cut crosswise into each chop to form a pocket, taking care not to cut through.
- Stuff each chop with ¼ cup of the stuffing. Season chops with salt and pepper.
- In very large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add pork chops; cook until well browned, about 7 minutes per side. Remove to platter; cover to keep warm.
- In skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add sliced apples and remaining 3 tablespoons apple juice; cook until apples begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Serve with chops.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 648, Fat – 24.5g, Dietary Fiber – 2.8g, Protein – 87.5g, Vitamin A – 19%, Vitamin C –23%, Iron – 24%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.