- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: A spear of asparagus has just 4 calories and no fat or cholesterol. Per serving, this recipe contains 498 calories (146 from fat), 18.6g protein and 27% of the recommended daily value for calcium. It's low in cholesterol and sugar.
- Recipe Created By: Charlyn Fargo
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch thin asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1 handful small, fresh sage leaves or rosemary
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ⅓-½ cup (about 3.5 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
Basic Pizza Dough
- 2¼ teaspoons (1 package) yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup hot water (105 degrees)
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- To make the dough, put the yeast in the warm water with the sugar. Stir and let rest until frothy. Combine the flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture and mix in olive oil. Mix together, then turn out on a floured surface. Knead briskly for 5 to 10 minutes until smooth, shiny and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky. Shape into a ball. Put in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour. When ready, uncover the dough, punch out the air, then divide in two and shape into two balls. Let rise again if time permits, or roll out into a 12-inch pizza circle. Put directly on baking parchment or pizza pan. (Use other ball for another pizza or freeze for later use). Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While dough is baking, combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Trim asparagus spears to about 6 inches long. Slice thicker spears in half lengthwise. Toss in a bowl with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, sage or rosemary leaves, salt and pepper.
- Brush dough with garlic-oil mixture. Spread mozzarella over dough. Arrange asparagus in a circular pattern on the dough with tips facing out. Top with Parmesan and remaining sage.
- Return pizza to oven and bake pizza on lower rack (or grill) until cheese is melted and asparagus begins to brown.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 103, Fat – 8.3g, Dietary Fiber – 1.9g, Protein – 3.4g, Vitamin C – 14%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Tips & Notes
• To save time, buy a pre-made pizza crust.
• Use a gluten-free crust to make this recipe gluten-free.