These mini burgers get a burst of sweet and salty flavor from fresh apples and thick-cut bacon.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup sweet-tart red apple, unpeeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 thick slices applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 3 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced and cut into 12 pieces
- apple aioli (see recipe below)
- 12 cocktail buns, split
- 12 small lettuce leaves or fresh baby spinach
- sweet-tart red apple, unpeeled and very thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 5 teaspoons frozen apple juice concentrate
- Preheat oven broiler.
- For burgers, mix ground beef, shredded apple, onion, bacon, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl until just combined. Do not overmix.
- With damp hands, form mixture into twelve 2½-inch-round patties.
- Broil patties, on rack in broiling pan, 4 inches away from heat for 8-12 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Turn patties halfway through broiling. You can also grill patties if desired.
- Place 1 cheese piece on top of each patty. Continue broiling for 30-60 seconds or until cheese is melted.
- To serve, spread aioli on bottoms of buns. Top with patties. If desired, apple slices and lettuce.
- Stir together mayonnaise and frozen apple juice concentrate until combined. (Makes about 1/3 cup.)
Tips & Notes
If desired, hold sandwiches closed with wooden sandwich picks or bamboo skewers.