- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per servings: 431 calories; 34g protein; 8g fat; 59g carbohydrates; 850mg sodium
- Recipe Created By: Courtesy of the Whole Grains Council and National Barley Foods Council
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium tart green apple, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup whole grain barley kernels
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade or apricot jam
- Heat oil in a large skillet; saute onion, bell peppers and garlic 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped apple and curry powder; saute 4 minutes longer
- Stir in barley and chicken broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes.
- Pour barley mixture into large baking dish or casserole. Arrange chicken breasts over barley and season with garlic salt.
- Cover and bake in 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove cover; brush chicken with marmalade. Continue to bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 412, Fat – 15.5g, Dietary Fiber – 2.5g, Protein – 46.0g, Vitamin A – 17%, Vitamin C – 57%, Iron – 15%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Whole Grains Council. For more, visit www.wholegrainscouncil.org.