Try this twist on a traditional pasta bake, featuring fresh zucchini and three different types of cheeses.
- 8 ounces mostaccioli noodles
- 3 ½ cups (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, (use low-sodium variety, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- cooking spray
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried onions and sugar. Heat for 3 minutes in microwave to blend flavors.
- In another bowl, mix together zucchini, ricotta, ½ cup mozzarella, ½ cup Parmesan and the egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and spread half of tomato sauce mixture on the bottom. Layer mostaccioli, ricotta mixture and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until top is brown and sauce is bubbling. Sprinkle fresh basil leaves over top.
Tips & Notes
If you'd like to make this a gluten-free recipe, simply substitute a gluten-free pasta for the mostaccioli.