- Makes: 6-8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- 3 slices soft bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound ground beef or veal
- ½ pound ground lean pork
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon each of pepper, dry mustard, sage, and either celery salt or garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 slices soft bread, torn into pieces
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese or shredded cheddar cheese
- For cheese filling, combine egg white and water; toss lightly with breadcrumbs and cheese. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together bread and milk; mix in remaining ingredients except filling.
- Pat one half of meat mixture in greased loaf pan. Cover with cheese filling. Top with remaining meat.
- Bake one hour and 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
Check ground beef labels for the lean (90%) to fat (10%) ratio. 93/7 ground beef is even leaner. You can also make your own whole wheat bread crumbs. Just pulse/process several pieces of whole wheat bread in a food processor until desired crumb texture is reached.