A heartier summer pizza, this recipe features Italian sausage and fresh tomatoes.
- 1 pound refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough
- ¾ cup basil pesto
- 1/3 cup Vidalia or other sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sharp provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 link (3-4 ounces) reduced-fat Italian chicken or turkey sausage, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- ¼ cup yellow tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup red tomato, chopped
- Divide pizza dough in half. On a floured surface, roll into two 8-inch circles. Place on lightly floured baking sheet. Oil grill grates and preheat grill to medium-low heat.
- Place the pizza crusts directly onto grill grates. Close cover and cook 1 to 3 minutes or just until the dough puffs and bubbles up in some places and starts to become firm.
- Remove crusts with tongs, turn over and place on baking sheet.
- Spread grilled sides immediately with half the pesto, then sprinkle with half the onions and shredded cheese. Top with tomatoes and sausage slices, dividing evenly between the pizzas.
- Return pizzas to grill, cover and grill for 3 to 5 more minutes until the crust is crisp and cheese is melted. Remove pizzas and cut into 4 slices each.