A traditional dish, this version of cabbage rolls is a bit healthier than the original.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-4 hours
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: 369 calories; 28.4 g protein; 29.8 g carbohydrates; 9.4 g fat; 77 mg cholesterol; 8.8 g fiber; 458 mg sodium
- Recipe Created By: Charlyn Fargo
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- Core cabbage and separate all leaves. Put in pan of hot water to wilt. Set aside.
- Mix ground turkey, rice, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- When cabbage leaves are wilted, remove hard stems. Place about 2 teaspoons of meat and rice mixture in cabbage leaf and roll tightly. Place in pot or baking dish, seam side down.
- In a medium bowl, mix together tomatoes, water, lemon juice and brown sugar. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls.
- Cook rolls by simmering on top of stove, covered for 3 to 4 hours. Alternately, bake them in a 350-degree oven for 3 hours.