This traditional Southern comfort food serves as a family favorite with succulent chicken and homemade dumplings.
- Makes: 10-12 servings
- Prep Time: 8 hours, 30 minutes (includes freezing)
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
- Recipe Created By: Farming Feeds Alabama Cookbook
- Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl, blending together.
- Add ice water and stir to form a soft dough, adding additional ice water if needed to make a soft dough that can be rolled into a ball.
- Place dough on a floured surface, and roll to coat in flour. Place on freezer paper or floured surface. Roll dough very thin, 1/8- to1/16-inch thickness.
- Let dough rest 30 minutes; cut into 1-inch strips.
- Place dough strips on wax paper-lined cookie sheet in layers. Freeze. (If freezing longer than a couple of days, store in plastic freezer bags.)
Chicken and Dumplings
- Fill a 6- to 8-quart pot two-thirds full with water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Sprinkle each piece of chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken one piece at a time to the boiling water. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 45-60 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth, reserving broth.
- Cool chicken; remove skin and bones, and cut into bite-size pieces. Return chopped chicken to broth, along with bouillon cubes and cream of chicken soup, stirring until blended.
- Add enough hot water to fill the pot back to two-thirds full. Bring to a boil over medium heat, adding butter or margarine if needed to make a rich broth.
- Break frozen dumplings into pieces about 4 inches long and drop into boiling broth a few at a time, not stirring but gently moving dumplings with a slotted spoon to make room for all.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes. Turn off heat, and let pot sit with lid on about 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
Use mostly white breast meat and little of the dark meat for this recipe. You can reserve the dark meat for use in other recipes such as chicken salad.