Simple chicken thighs receive a flavor boost from a seasonal strawberry sauce.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: The strawberries in this recipe's sauce contain nutrients to support brain and heart health.
- Recipe Created By: Vivian Howard
- Recipe From: North Carolina Field & Family
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. In a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the thighs, skin side down, and lower heat to medium. After about 5 minutes or when the chicken is nicely browned, flip over and cook another 30 seconds.
- Transfer chicken thighs to a baking dish and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together thyme, sage, honey, sugar, water, vinegar and orange juice. Set aside.
- Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and saute, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the skillet for about 1 minutes. Add the berries. Pour in the sauce mixture and stir until syrupy, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- When chicken is done, spoon the berry sauce over it and bake another 2 to 4 minutes.
Tips & Notes
For a complete meal, serve this chicken with a hearty veggie such as broccoli or cauliflower.