- Makes: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Tomatoes are filled with antioxidants vitamin A and C, and they contain lycopene, a natural phytonutrient that may help reduce risk of prostate cancer. Cooked tomatoes contain more lycopene than uncooked versions. Basil leaves are packed with natural phytonutrients and antioxidants, and onions provide natural nutrients to fight heart disease, cancer and help keep your bones healthy.
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the tomatoes and pat both sides with paper towel to remove some of the juice.
- In alternating layers, fill the pie shell with the tomatoes, onion, sausage and basil, reserving some basil to garnish.
- In a small bowl, mix the cheeses with the mayonnaise and spread over pie. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 30 minutes more.
- Garnish with fresh basil slivers. Can be served hot or cold.
Tips & Notes
• You can substitute the Italian sausage with ground turkey or chicken sausage.
• Vidalia onions are the most widely available sweet onion. Other sweet varieties include Maui, Walla Walla, Oso Sweet and Rio Sweet.