Warm up with this creamy mushroom and leek soup recipe that features three types of mushrooms.
- Makes: 6-8 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Leeks are part of the allium family (garlic and onion) and rich in allyl sulfides, which play a role in your body’s natural detoxification system.
- Recipe Created By: Kim Galeaz
- Recipe From: My Indiana Home
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 ¾ cups leeks, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 7 cups assorted mushrooms, such as white button, crimini and shiitake, cleaned and sliced
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, very finely minced (optional)
- 3 cups lower sodium, fat-free chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth to make vegetarian)
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add leeks and garlic, stirring frequently until tender. Add remaining tablespoon of oil along with mushrooms.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Quickly stir in flour, salt, pepper and dill. Heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, then stir in broth. Bring to a boil and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Lower heat, and stir in cream and milk. Remove from heat and stir in sherry vinegar. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
Refrigerate leftovers in a tightly covered container. This soup reheats well.