Fried sweet potato skins give a perfectly crunchy texture to this salad.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Vivian Howard
- 4 sweet potatoes, roasted with flesh scooped out and reserved for another use
- Vegetable oil
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 6 ounces mature, spicy arugula
- 1 cup shaved salty hard cheese like Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Cut your sweet potato skins into strips or wedges. Add enough oil to a saute pan so that it climbs about a third of an inch up the pan’s sides. Head the oil over medium heat and brown the skins on both sides. Some parts of the skins will be browner than the others. Drain the skins on paper towels and season them liberally with Kosher salt.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan, simmer together maple syrup or honey, coriander seeds, vinegar and chili flakes until it reduces ever so slightly.
- Toss your arugula, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and lots of shaved cheese together in a bowl. Put it on a plate with as many skins as you’d like. Drizzle the whole thing with the maple reduction.