No more sticky fingers. Serve your BBQ chicken Cobb salad-style by topping chopped lettuce with beautiful layered rows of cheese, beans, corn and tomatoes.
- Makes: 4 main course servings or 8 side salad servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per Serving (1 main course salad with 2 tablespoons dressing): 417 calories, 18 g fat, 596 mg sodium, 29 g protein, 9 g fiber, 189 mg cholesterol, 37 carbohydrates, 10g sugar.
- Recipe Created By: Jodie Shield
- Photo by: Jeffrey S. Otto
- Recipe From: Illinois Partners
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- ½ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 2 tablespoons favorite barbecue sauce
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and crumbled
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped
- 15 ounces (1 can) black beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cup fresh beans
- 15 ounces (1 can) yellow corn, drained, or 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen corn
- ¼ cup cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- To make the dressing, place the basil pesto, mayonnaise, garlic, buttermilk, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a blender and blend until well combined. Set aside or store in the refrigerator.
- To make the salad, toss the chicken with barbecue sauce until thoroughly coated.
- Pile the chopped lettuce into a large, shallow serving bowl. Arrange the chicken in a horizontal row in the center of lettuce. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the dressing in horizontal rows on either side of the chicken. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
The dressing can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. For added crunch, add a layer of tortilla chips or leftover crumbled bacon.