This sweet yet tart Southern side dish of tomato salad uses your garden's bounty of fresh tomatoes, bell pepper and sweet onion.
- Makes: 6-8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Tomatoes are filled with antioxidants vitamin A and C, and bell peppers are one of the richest sources of vitamin C. In fact, one medium-sized green bell pepper has as much vitamin C as a medium orange.
- Toss the tomatoes, onion and bell pepper in a heatproof bowl.
- Combine the vinegar, cold water, mustard seeds, sugar, celery salt, salt, red pepper and black pepper in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the tomato mixture and mix gently.
- Chill, covered, for several hours. Can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.