- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Green beans are fairly low-calorie but pack a powerful antioxidant punch, as do pears, which are also rich in cholesterol-lowering fiber. Walnuts provide heart-healthy omega-3 fats.
- Recipe Created By: Kristen Winston
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- 1 ½ pounds haricots verts (French green beans) or other slender green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons walnut oil (can substitute vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 small firm but ripe pears, such as Bosc, peeled, cored and julienned (cut into matchstick-size strips)
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1-1 ½-ounce piece Parmesan cheese, shaved with vegetable peeler
- Cook haricots verts (French green beans) in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain, then rinse with cold water. Drain well, and set aside.Can prepare beans ahead and chill in refrigerator if desired.
- Whisk together walnut oil, vinegar, olive oil, chives, parsley and shallots in large bowl. Add haricots verts, basil, pears and walnuts; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Top with Parmesan, and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 211, Fat – 14.8g, Dietary Fiber – 6.8g, Protein – 5.9g, Vitamin A – 13%, Vitamin C – 24%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Tips & Notes
Always allow pears to ripen at room temperature, not in the refrigerator.