Quick, simple and effective, Mason jar salads are perfect for a picnic or packed lunch.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: 562 calories, 20.4 g fat, 289 mg sodium, 49.9 g protein, 6.1 g dietary fiber. Very high in niacin, phosphorus and vitamin B6.
- Recipe Created By: Charlyn Fargo
- 1 pound grilled chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup favorite vinaigrette dressing
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 cups arugula, chopped
- 1 cup cucumbers, sliced and quartered
- 1 cup red or green peppers, chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup roasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- Layer the following ingredients among four quart-sized mason jars, starting from the bottom up: 4 ounces grilled chicken breast, 1 tablespoon dressing, ¼ cup quinoa, ¼ cup tomatoes, ¼ cup corn, ¼ cup cucumber, ¼ cup green and red pepper, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, 1 cup arugula, 2 tablespoons pomegranates or cranberries, and 1 tablespoon pepitas. Cover with lid and refrigerate overnight, if desired.
- When ready to eat, shake sealed jar to combine. Pour on plate or into bowl to serve.
Tips & Notes
Layering ingredients in the right order helps keep the salad from getting soggy before you’re ready to eat.