- Makes: 3/4 quart
- Prep Time: 8 hours (includes overnight sitting)
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: National Watermelon Promotion Board
- 2 cups watermelon rind, dark green skin removed and white part cut in ⅓-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 ½ cups plus ¾ cup water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch each cinnamon and clove
- 2 cups watermelon, diced
- Mix rind with 2½ cups water and 2 tablespoons salt. Let stand covered at room temperature overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar with ¾ cup water, 2 teaspoons salt, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, add the rind and cook gently for about 40 minutes or until the rind is translucent and tender (do not boil hard as mixture could caramelize.) When done, remove from heat and cool.
- Mix in diced watermelon last.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 324, Fat – 0.4g, Dietary Fiber – 1.2g, Protein – 1.4g, Vitamin A – 23%, Vitamin C – 43%
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Tips & Notes
Watermelon relish will keep refrigerated for 4 days.