Turn classic mashed potatoes into these delicious smashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds red-skinned potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces Boursin cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped (white parts with some green)
- Put potatoes in a large saucepan; add cold water to cover and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife – 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat half-and-half with butter in a small saucepan and bring just to a simmer.
- Drain potatoes and return them to pan. Use a large metal or wooden spoon to smash the potatoes into a coarse mash.
- Add half-and-half mixture and Boursin cheese.
- Stir in scallions, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.