This simple recipe flavors up fresh collard greens by slow-boiling them in a mixture of sugar, ham hocks and crushed red pepper.
- Makes: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2-3 hours
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Farming Feeds Alabama Cookbook
- 2 bunches fresh collard greens
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Strip leaves from tough stems. Wash greens several times in water to remove grit.
- Roll leaves into a cigar shape, and cut into 1-inch sections.
- Put all ingredients into a large stockpot and cover with water.
- Cook at a low boil for 2-3 hours or until tender.
- Adjust seasoning, and add water as needed.