- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups onions, diced
- 2-3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¹⁄₈ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups quick-cooking barley
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until barely tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until onion is crisp-tender, about 2 additional minutes.
- Stir in curry, turmeric, allspice, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add barley, raisins and cranberries.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until barley is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered 3 minutes. Stir in pecans and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 160, Total Fat – 7.2g, Protein – 3.5g, Dietary Fiber – 3.7g, very high in Vitamin B6.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Tips & Notes
Be creative and try all kinds of dried fruits in a barley salad: cherries, dates, apricots or peaches.