Impress your friends and family with this homemade soup featuring sweet apples, onions and savory blue cheese croutons.
- Makes: 4 servings of 1½ cups each
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Per serving: 420 calories; 14g fat; 35mg cholesterol; 1530mg sodium; 65g carbohydrates; 10g protein
- Recipe Created By: U.S. Apple Association
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large white onions, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced (about 1½ teaspoons)
- 4 cups pasteurized apple cider
- 2 10½-ounce cans double strength beef broth
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ cups tart green or red apples, unpeeled and cut into cubes
Blue Cheese Croutons:
- 2 ounces blue cheese, finely crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 12 baguette slices
- Melt butter in large, heavy saucepan. Add onions and cook over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until caramelized, stirring and scraping bottom of pan often. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Slowly and carefully pour apple cider into saucepan with onion mixture. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and gently boil over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes or until reduced by about half.
- Stir beef broth and Worcestershire sauce into apple mixture. Bring to a simmer. Add apple; gently simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until apples are nearly tender. Remove from heat.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; top with blue cheese toasts.
Blue Cheese Croutons
- Lightly stir together 2 ounces finely crumbed blue cheese (about 1/4 cup) and 1 tablespoon softened butter. Spread mixture evenly on 12 lightly toasted baguette slices.
- Broil under oven broiler or in toasted about 1 minute until cheese is bubbly.
Tips & Notes
You can serve the blue cheese crouton on top of this soup or alongside it as a tasty garnish.