A signature dish from Carmon's Restaurant in Champaign, Illinois.
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ¼ tablespoon curry powder
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons white sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Tie celery, parsley and bay leaves into a bouquet garni. Set aside.
- Melt butter until foamy. Add onions and curry powder, stirring to coat, about two minutes.
- Add apples, then cauliflower, cooking for another two minutes.
- Add stock, wine, juice, other seasonings and bouquet garni. Cook at simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove garni and puree with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender).
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve in heated bowls with sour cream garnish if desired.
Tips & Notes
Choose cauliflower with compact, white florets and minimal brown spots. Refrigerate cauliflower in a plastic bag for up to five days.