Canned tomatoes and cream cheese combine for a creamy, tasty summer soup.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe From: Tennessee Home & Farm
- Purée tomatoes in blender. Pour into saucepan and bring heat up to medium.
- Simmer, stirring for 15 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are heating, start to soften cream cheese in another saucepan. Add the soda and cornstarch using a wire whisk.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and half-and-half. Bring the cheese mixture to bubbling, whisking as you go and cook for 1 minute more.
- Slowly whisk the cheese and cream mixture into the tomatoes and cook one minute more. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and stir in butter.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with any or all of the following: cracked black pepper, fresh parsley, basil, oregano, grated Parmesan cheese.