- 4 ounces bacon (3 thick-cut slices or 4-5 thin slices), chopped
- 1 ½ cups onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups red potato, skin-on, diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 ½ cups lower-sodium seafood broth*
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
- 1 pound skinless cod filets, cut into 1-inch chunks**
*Or combination of lower-sodium vegetable broth and clam juice
**Or flounder, halibut or tilapia
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat, cook bacon pieces until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan, placing on paper towel to cool. Keep bacon fat in pot; you should have about 3 tablespoons.
- Add onions and diced potatoes, sauteing 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir frequently.
- Add flour and stir constantly, about 1 minute. Stir in broth/juices, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in milk, thyme, pepper and salt, increase heat to medium-high, and stirring constantly, bring to a simmer (do not boil).
- Add corn and fish, and cook just until fish is opaque and flakes easily with fork, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in cooked bacon just before serving. Serve hot.