- Makes: 9 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Cooked tomatoes contain more lycopene than uncooked versions.
- Recipe Created By: Farming Feeds Alabama Cookbook
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter or margarine
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ½ cups chicken broth, divided (use vegetable broth to make recipe vegetarian)
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and bell pepper, and saute until tender.
- Add 4 cups of broth along with tomatoes, sugar, curry powder, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining ½ cup broth, and blend until smooth.
- Gradually stir into simmering soup.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 111, Fat – 6g, Dietary Fiber – 2g, Protein – 3.8g, Vitamin A – 89%, Vitamin C – 35%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.