- 3 cups (about 1 pound) asparagus, sliced into ½-inch pieces*
- 2 cups fat-free, less sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth to make recipe vegetarian)
- ¾ teaspoon fresh thyme, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- dash of nutmeg (freshly ground is best)
- 2 teaspoons butter, unsalted
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon lemon rind, grated
*If desired, reserve a few spears of asparagus for garnish.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine asparagus, broth, ½ teaspoon thyme, bay leaf and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Place asparagus mixture in a blender and process until smooth.
- Place flour in pan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add pureed asparagus and ground nutmeg; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat, and stir in ¼ teaspoon thyme, butter, salt and lemon rind.
- Just before serving, garnish with a few sprigs of asparagus. Let them float or lean on the side of the bowl.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories – 91, Fat – 2.2g, Dietary Fiber – 2.3g, Protein – 7.1g, Vitamin A – 22%, Vitamin C – 10%, Calcium – 18%, Iron – 14%.
**Nutrition information is calculated using an online calorie calculator. Variations may exist. Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Tips & Notes
To make this recipe gluten-free, use a gluten-free broth and flour (or omit the flour entirely for a thinner soup).