Similar to minestrone, this stew swaps potatoes for the pasta and throws in some collards for a hearty blend.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Potatoes have 45% of your daily vitamin C and 18% of your daily potassium – in fact, they have more potassium than bananas, tomatoes, broccoli and oranges.
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- Recipe From: North Carolina Field & Family
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds gold potatoes, cubed
- 2 pounds Italian-style meatballs (frozen or homemade)
- 16 ounces collard greens
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- crumbled goat cheese, optional, for garnish
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil. Add onions and saute until softened. Stir in garlic and cook until just fragrant.
- Add stock and potatoes. Stir occasionally over medium heat until potatoes are softened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add meatballs, collard greens, salt, pepper, oregano and cayenne. Allow flavors to meld and greens to wilt, about 15 minutes. Season to taste. To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles.