Let your slow cooker do the work in this hearty, filling lamb and fig stew with sweet potatoes.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6-8 hours
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Nutrition Highlights: Figs are a good source of fiber, potassium and anti-aging antioxidants.
- Recipe Created By: American Lamb Board
- 1 ½ pounds lamb boneless leg or shoulder, trimmed and cubed
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 pound red onions, trimmed and cut into narrow wedges
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, pared and cubed
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1 cup dried figs, stemmed and halved
- ¼ cup flour, mixed with ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup parsley, minced, optional
- salt and pepper
- In a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker, combine lamb, broth, wine, onions, yams and orange peel. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Stir in figs and flour-wine mixture; cook 45 minutes longer
- If desired, add minced parsley and season with salt and pepper before serving.