This sweet and savory variation on classic chili features turkey, sausage, sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans. Serve with cornbread and a green salad.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 30 ounces (2 cans) garbanzo beans
- 28 ounces (1 can) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a large stockpot, brown the sausage and turkey. Remove meat from pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- Saute onion until softened in the drippings. Add garlic and stir until fragrant. Return browned meat to pot, and add sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, sauce, water, chili powder, paprika, salt and cornmeal.
- Stir occasionally over medium-low heat for about 2 hours. Adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley at serving time.