Traditional ratatouille gets a winter spin with seasonal veggies.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Mary Carter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces butternut squash, cubed
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 6-8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 28 ounces (1 large can) plum tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼-½ cup fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Saute onion, garlic and parsnips in olive oil in a heavy quart saucepan. Stir until onions are translucent.
- Add mushrooms and stir until they begin to soften. Add all other ingredients except basil and Parmesan.
- Stir occasionally over medium-low heat until all vegetables are softened and juices are very thick, about 30 minutes.
- Serve as a stew in soup bowls, or as a side dish with your favorite entree. Garnish with basil and Parmesan.
Tips & Notes
This hearty ratatouille is delicious served with a crusty French bread.