Sweet coconut macaroons get a tart upgrade with fresh lemon.
- Makes: 40 cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Rating: Easy
- Recipe Created By: Cheryl Armstrong
- Recipe From: My Indiana Home
- 14 ounces (1 bag) sweetened flaked coconut
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 lage egg whites
- 2 small fresh lemons, zested and juiced
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 10 ounces white chocolate melting wafers, melted
- yellow food coloring
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sugar, sifted flour, egg whites, lemon zest and juice, lemon extract and chopped almonds. Stir well until blended.
- Drop by rounded 2 tablespoons and shape into approximately 1 ½-inch-tall pyramids, 2 inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until tops and bottom edges of cookies are light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine melted white chocolate with a few drops of yellow food coloring. Drip the bottom and ¼-inch of the sides of macaroons in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper to set. Store in an airtight container.